Here at Team Mail Pilot, we couldn’t be more excited to be writing our own story. We have many ideas and beliefs about how innovative startups should work. We wanted to somehow put these concepts into writing. In today’s world, all companies are obligated to have a mission statement. Unfortunately, it seems like every corporate PR department shares a single template titled “Generic Mission Statement”. Mission statements have become diluted and redundant.
Thankfully, there is a growing trend among some of the best companies in the world, those who are truly in touch with their core way of life, to have a company credo. A credo is far beyond a mission statement. It becomes a true statement of belief and identity. Those within the company know it, and embrace it. Those outside of the company realize it, customers appreciate it, and fans love it. We believe that a company’s credo should be an intrinsic part of everything that company does.
From our minds, to the white board, to code and customer support, and every step in-between, we’ve grown to recognize the essence of what we do, how we do it, and why we do it. We’ve developed a personality, a methodology, an intuitive sense to how we get things done. We believe everyone should adhere strictly to their values and beliefs, and that in adhering to our values and beliefs, we grow as individuals and as a company. We believe that sharing our credo with the world will change us from a company that is faceless to one that is understood, connected with, enjoyed, and respected.
Here’s our company credo:
I. More Mission
- We believe that mission statements should mean more.
- We believe in fancy words, but we also believe that our mission statement should be more mission and less statement.
II. Pushing Forward
- We believe that outdated and poorly thought-out solutions should be turned on their heads.
- We believe that over-engineered solutions are all too common and that piling more and more complicated features on top of broken systems is simply lazy.
- We believe in professionalism in the software industry and that forcing an over-relaxed work environment is a counterproductive juxtaposition.
- We believe in challenging this current state of affairs with more natural and intuitive solutions that are designed intentionally to accomplish well-established goals.
- We believe that software should push people forward rather than hold them back.
III. Work Smarter
- We believe in creating our own dream jobs and in playing to our strengths.
- We believe in collaborating and balancing our strengths to form a productive, aware team.
- We believe in working on solutions to our own problems, interests, and passions.
- We believe in our ideas and in standing behind our products for the long-haul and we believe all startups should be fueled by this same passion and not dollar signs.
- We believe that innovation and ideation should start from the ground up, ignoring all preconceived notions and solutions.
- We believe in responding to competition through innovation and not through legal exploitation.
- We believe in our supporters and our fans—without them believing in us, we wouldn’t be here.
- We believe that working smarter does not mean working more.
IV. Organized Chaos
- We believe that email should not consume our lives.
- We believe that email is not going away and that ignorance is not bliss.
- We believe that an email application should focus on getting things done and become a productivity tool that fits naturally with current workflows.
- We believe there can be organization in the chaos.
V. Get on with your day
- We don’t just believe in these things, we act on them.
- With today’s software, users are often forced to do more work to get less done.
- At Mail Pilot, we do more work so you can get more done and get on with your day.
Gone are the days of two-liner mission statements that are meaningless. It takes many words to accurately depict our actions and the thought processes behind them. This credo is our playbook, and it addresses every aspect of everything we do at every stage of our business. It is designed to be fluid, yet consistent. We hope it provides insight into how and why we’re reimagining email to work better for you.